One of the commonest questions from website owners is “How do I get my website on Google?”
Search engine optimization, or SEO, is the process of planning, building and marketing a website in a way that gives it the best chances of appearing high in the search engine results for the terms that your customers are searching on.
It’s not enough to simply put a website online and wait for people to come; the website content and structure must be set up in a way that is easy for the search engines to crawl and index, and you need relevant, quality links from other websites.
A good SEO company will do a range of things to help boost your search engine rankings, including:
- Keyword research – You may think you know what terms people are using to search for what your business offers, but our potential customers don’t always think like we do. Often research can reveal that customers are searching using a completely different term, and we can be missing out on a lot of business if we don’t target that term.
- Content review – Once we know what keywords we need to target, we need to make sure they are included in your web content in ways that are both natural to your readers, and easily understood by search engines.
- Coding – Your website needs to be coded using best practices, so that search engines can easily understand what is the important information on your web pages.
- Sourcing incoming links– Having relevant, quality links to your website is an important part of keeping your search engine rankings high. It’s equally important to avoid poor quality, or ‘spammy’ links that can result in penalties against your website.
- Action plan– Search engine optimisation is an ongoing process, and you need an action plan for ongoing SEO strategy.
Megan can help with all of the above!